Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Papering over the Cracks

For a moment yesterday, I thought that my wonderful husband and Sheryl Crow had got together in some strange toilet paper conspiracy. Her suggested ban on using too much toilet paper mirrors my husband's thoughts entirely. For no apparent reason, and certainly not environmental, he is fascinated by how much toilet paper I use vs. him; the fact that I am at home more or have different needs doesn't seem to matter! He is the one, however, who has a 'special roll' from the US hidden away for emergency purposes! I think India as a whole definitely does its part to reduce the use of toilet paper; I've never been in a public toilet that has it, given that 'hand-wiping' is de-rigeur here. That said, I carry a mini 'Charmin To Go' roll at all times, just in case the need arises. In fact, the last time I was in Target, I 'wiped them clean' of the product, so I am never without. There is probably some psycho-analysis that talks about the use of toilet paper, whether you use a little or a lot, but the only stuff I can remember is from many years ago when my old boss Alan put people into categories, 'scrunchers' or 'folders'; as I recall, the scrunchers were disorganised and the folders were anally retentive (every pun intended). If you have some time on your hands, and some toilet humour, it's a great game to play! My guess is that Sheryl is a folder - you definitely can't scrunch with one sheet!