Friday, April 06, 2007

Back to Bangalore

So after many weeks out of station, as they say here, I am back in Bangalore where summer has set in and I am now suffering heat exhaustion vs. freezing in England! My 'sabbatical' included six weeks in England and a couple in New York - now that's what I call cold!

My time in England was spent mainly with my mum and her husband during a difficult time as she is beginning treatment for breast cancer. It has been admirable the way they have handled the shocking news earlier this year which resulted in two operations and subsequent chemotheraphy treatment. They have managed to stay positive and take each day as it comes, which I am sure will help massively on the road to recovery. Mum has even started her own blog; who knows, she may manage more postings than me!

New York was a whirl, catching up with old friends and meeting some new ones - my friends' Kate and Pete's four month old twins (boy and girl). Now that's what I call hard work, although they are as good as gold (at least for the most part!)

Now back in India, I am defrosting, and just spent three days in Bombay which makes Bangalore feel positively cool! Bombay was a bustle as I went to support and celebrate the launch of my friend Fiona's book, Love Bangalore which is a MUST for anyone travelling to the city; a beautiful collection of Bangalore's hidden gems.

Returning here was a little bitter sweet as I had become a little too settled in the ways of the west - driving myself around on fairly uncongested roads at speeds of more than five miles per hour; shopping in 30,000 sq ft supermarkets with an entire aisle of toilet roll to choose from; and guzzling more than my far share of world wines at reasonable prices. Of course, this has all taken a toll on me and I need to visit the gym frequently and soon.

We have also had to say goodbye to two lovely families, both of whom have coincidentally moved to Singapore. The ex-pat life has many positives, but the transient nature can make it difficult when establishing friendships and learning to part with them far too soon. Both were relatively unexpected moves, although a trip to Singapore will no doubt be in the offing and guess what, as well as wonderful friends, they have an abundance of shopping and sightseeing that would make any western city envious!

For now, I am settling back into Bangalore life which is definitely not a bad one at all! Great friends, great food, great travel, and, of course, it's not known as the pub city for nothing!