Thursday, February 15, 2007

Winter Whinger

I am clearly not cut out to be a dedicated blogger given the date of my last posting and that a number of significant events have happened since then, i.e., Christmas (a balmy day in Bangalore), New Year (dinner, sitting outside our favourite restaurant), numerous Indian holidays (including my favourite name of all - Pongal), plus extensive travels to the northern and southern hemispheres. Having spent three wonderful weeks in Australia (Great Barrier Reef, Hunter Valley, Sydney) basking in +30 degree temperatures, I now find myself in Yorkshire, suffering single digit temperatures, which hopefully will acclimatize me for my trip to NYC next week, where the single digit temps are preceded by a minus sign. Ouch. I am somewhat prepared, having bought a pair of Uggs in Sydney airport (yes, I know, I am the last person in the world to own a pair, but these were for practical vs fashion purposes) and borrowed a down jacket from my friend Fiona in Bangalore, who actually climbed to Everest base camp in it, so it's the real deal. I am horrified to think that at this time of year c. 15 years ago (or so!) I would have stood on line at a northern nightclub in little more than a strappy dress and flimsy shoes. What was I thinking? I am currently IN the house wearing MUCH more than that and despite the central heating cranked up high, am STILL freezing! Maybe it's old age. Maybe I have become too soft and spoiled in the relatively baking heat of Bangalore. Maybe years of excessive alcohol consumption has permanently thinned by blood! One thing is for sure, I will NEVER complain about being too hot in India again! Now, where is that hot water bottle....