Thursday, February 14, 2008

A is for Appendix...

So, today I had my stitches removed. All seven of them spread across three tiny cuts. Very neat. So as the physical pain subsides, the mental pain of our healthcare claim begins. For those NOT familiar with the US system, you have a kind of healthcare insurance that you pay monthly but there are so many rules: you have to visit a doctor within their network, or pay a lot more to go 'out of network,' which obviously we do as we are VERY out of network; you have to get 'precertified' before you can have a procedure, which means getting an approval code from them, even if it's an emergency, and that can be tricky in another time zone; and there are code numbers for EVERYTHING which, without, it becomes tricky to claim. So, last night, we bit the bullet and called up to get our post-op pre-approval and while the customer service people were lovely, if their questions are anything to go by, we could be in for a loooong claim process:


Them: "What was wrong with you?"
Me: "I had acute appendicitis."
Them: "How do you spell that. I'm not a medical person."
Me: " A P P E N D I C I T I S."
Them: "What happened?"
Me: "I had it removed."
Them: "What's that called? Wait a minute while I consult a nurse...."
Me: "Appendectomy."
Them: "How do you spell that? I'm not a medical person...."
Me: "A IS FOR AAARRRGGGGH...."