Friday, November 24, 2006

If It Seems Too Good To Be True...

... it probably is! Thank you Dr. Phil for reminding me of this as I succumbed to another great "Indian bargain". This deal was from a local salon offering the 'exclusive services' of hairdresser to the stars, Barney Martin from Australia. I booked my 'appointment and consultation' and, as someone who enjoys going to the hairdressers as much as getting my teeth pulled, was excited that a) I was getting my 'western' hair cut by a 'western' hairdresser and b) that it was a snip at $20 vs. the price at his Australian salon (I am from Yorkshire, remember!)


I was soon reminded of Dr. Phil's salient comment when I learned that Barney wasn't actually cutting hair but 'overseeing' the Indian hairdressers. Every pun intended, I wigged out. No matter how much the lovely Barney reassured me that all would be well, I wasn't happy being a 'guinea pig'. A young hairdresser fiddled and snipped at my hair while the maestro moved from chair to chair supervising his students, and enough was enough. After a little chat with Barney (who, by the way is as Australian as me, i.e., from Yorkshire) he took over and gave me the best haircut I've had in India. Suffice to say I am booking in with Barney at his Sydney salon when we visit in 2007 and am looking forward to a not-so hair-raising experience!