Monday, January 07, 2008

My Lips Are Sealed...


... or rather, they almost could be, if I took advantage of the new hot surgery that's taking Bangalore by storm - Virginification (my word, not theirs...)  I was horrified to be greeted over my tea and scrambled eggs this morning with the Bangalore Mirror headline shown here, but of course, had to read on...  For the bargain price of between $500 and $2,500 - depending how much work is required - you can be again, as Madonna once sang, Like A Virgin.  And fool your family, friends, and more importantly, your future husband into thinking on your wedding night you were about to be "touched for the very first time..."  It's sad but true that even as India, and particularly Bangalore, progresses in this hi-tech era, pre-marital sex is still a stigma.  One 26-year old software professional, who recently underwent the surgery after the failure of her previous three-year live-in relationship, is quoted as saying, "My parents are looking out for a groom.  The only option I could think of was hymenoplasty.... who will accept me if I reveal the truth?"  There is of course always some humour -despite the worrying content - in these newspaper articles.  The best part of today's feature?  A nice typo, of course.  'Twenty per cent of the women, specially athletes and cyclists, have raptured hymens, despite being virgins.'  I'm so glad they're happy!!!