Thursday, April 13, 2006

Don't Mess With My Kumkum

Today, I learned a new expression, "I swear on my Kumkum". Curious as to what a 'kumkum' is - and how serious someone has to be to swear on it - I did a little research.


The traditional Kumkum or Kungumam is made from dried turmeric. The turmeric is dried and powdered with a bit of lime, which turns the rich yellow powder into red color. It is traditionally worn on the fore-head to show the marital status of women.

The turmeric powder by itself has a lot of medicinal qualities. The Ayurvedic doctors say it has fluoride which is essential for teeth. It is also used as antibacterial agent. Whenever there is a cut or a bruise, the home remedy is to reach for turmeric powder. The young girls and married women of Tamil Nadu use it for bathing purposes as there is a claim that its usage controls the growth of body hair.... No need for waxing there then!